Friday, July 6, 2012

You're married, not in couple confinement

Congratulations, I am so happy you finally found the man of your dreams and got married.
So lovely that since you got engaged, you became so enamored with this man and spend lots of quality bonding time together. It's great that you "get" each other, and enjoy lots of activities together; whether it's going out to movies, dinners, hobbies, or even just chillaxin at home. Good for you.

So I, your friend, called you about 60,000 times but couldn't get a hold of you. You aren't responding to my texts either, or just send in the "I'm busy with hubby" standard response. WTH! I used to be your booty call! When you had nothing to do and nowhere to go, and was lonely and bored, you called me and I would happily oblige to go out with you and keep you company. For me, it never mattered the last minute call, you're a friend and I love spending time with you.

But now you're married, and you got NLSS: No Longer Single Syndrome.

What exactly is NLSS?

NLSS happens to some girls at the moment of engagement. To the recipient of this terrible syndrome, their symptoms include the following thoughts:

  1. Excitement at the thought of having a man in my life.
  2. I have a wedding to plan!
  3. I need to get close to my in laws.
  4. I will wear a beautiful diamond ring.
  5. I will update my status on Facebook so no one feels sorry for me anymore.
  6. My profile pic on Facebook will include 2 heads or 2 hands exchanging rings; either are acceptable.
  7. I will have someone to go shopping with, and/or can buy me stuff.
  8. I need to laser my body hair before getting married.
  9. I need to lose weight.
  10. I need to hide all evidence of previous relationships.
  11. I will send songs dedicated to my man.
  12. I have all these amazing married couples I must start hanging out with them from now on.
  13. I will sit with the married women in all major events, and not have to sit at the kids table anymore.
  14. If an "adult" topic comes up, I will no longer be asked to get more tea for the people and can actually listen to the whole thing!
  15. I will finally have someone I can call before falling asleep and play "no you hang up".
  16. Hubby will no longer hang out with his single friends, they're just a bad influence.
  17. I don't have time to hang out with my single friends, they just don't get it, they have no responsibilities like an engaged/married woman does. Their life is so frivolous and easy.
It's a tragic syndrome. With all the above symptoms, there is no room for the old trusted friends. And the new couple friends they just have to hang out with, at some point, they themselves labelled them as boring. 

It's quite sad, because at some point, the darling hubby will get suffocated with all the smothering and will want to hang out with his male friends and guess the food eaten after any one of them farts. At that moment of truth, the married girl will sit all alone at home and will call her old trusted friends begging them to go out, and laying out the excuses of all the work that a married life entails. 

If you are married, or about to get married, you shouldn't forget who your real friends are. Granted there are lots of new elements added into your life, but you need to balance your life where in a week, you have a day with your friends, a day with your family, and a day with your hubby. Don't reach that point where you lose connection with your real friends and then they "come back" to you in pity, or for old-times sake. 

Don't reach that stage with your real friends, because if they don't come back to you, what else can you do, you certainly won't be invited to the fart-smelling contests.

1 comment:

  1. Girl. I must say I enjoyed this one real good. Reckon it can be applied to most Asian women for sure :)

    Keep up the flair and the prose you have.

    ReplyDelete